TURNIPS--HAKUREI (Spring Turnips):
Hakurei have a zesty crisp, apple-like quality that adds zing to salads, unlike the fall, purple top turnips that are usually cooked in a hearty beef stew.
GRATED TURNIP AND APPLE SALAD
- 1 cup peeled and grated raw turnips
- 1 cup peeled and grated tart green apples
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 1 large lemon or lime
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- Fresh ground pepper
CURRIED SPRING TURNIPS
Combine everything, toss, cover and chill.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 TBSP oil
- 3 turnips, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 tart apple (eg. Granny Smith), cored and chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Lemon wedge
Cook the onion, stirring, in the oil for 5 minutes over medium heat until it begins to brown. Stir in the turnips and cook 5 minutes more. Add the apple, curry powder and salt, and cook until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Squeeze a fresh lemon wedge over dish before serving. Serve hot with additional wedges.